DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness, Jim Kay “You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”

this book stunned me by it's simplicity and enamored me by it's plain , clear beauty .
There would be times when i come across books which leave me speechless , teary-eyed and just sad . those would be times when i would say , that whatever i write about that particular book , it cannot do any justice to what it's true value actually is .

but today , i feel something different .
yes , i am stunned and enamored by the book ! because that's what this book does to you !

yes , i am teary-eyed but my tears are still flowing .

it is indeed heart-breaking and thought provoking , but what wonders me the most is its sheer power and strength to capture a human's soul in each and every way .

it makes me question myself about how i look at myself ?
there is this beautiful conversation between the monster and Connor which just moved me , a lot .

“Because humans are complicated beasts, the monster said. How can a queen be both a good witch and a bad witch? How can a prince be a murderer and a saviour? How can an apothecary be evil-tempered but right-thinking? How can a parson be wrong-thinking but good-hearted? How can invisible men make themselves more lonely by being seen?

"I don't know," Connor shrugged, exhausted. "Your stories never made any sense to me."

The answer is that it does not matter what you think, the monster said, because your mind will contradict itself a hundred times each day. You wanted her to go at the same time you were desperate for me to save her. Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both.”

in fact , not just one conversation but the whole book itself is painfully and breathtakingly moving and just ignites that thing in you which usually leaves you at loss of words .

but today , its different .
i'm not at loss of words , today i cannot be stopped .

A Monster Calls is a beautiful masterpiece created by Patrick Ness with the ideas of the late Siobhan Dowd . it's dark and gripping is illuminated with illustrations by Jim Kay .
together they have managed to pull off something so magical that only god knows how can be described .

it's about coming in terms with loss . we have here , Connor o' Malley whose mother has been diagnosed with cancer and is under constant treatment .

since his mother's treatments had started , Connor had been subject to a horrifying nightmare which haunts his sleep every night . it all changes when he's visited by someone , so ancient , mysterious and powerful and who demands for just one thing --> the absolute truth .

this someone , my friends , is The Monster . and adding to Connor's surprise . He's not the one who haunts him in his nightmare but someone completely different and unknown .

lately , ive read many reviews and just loved every one of them . it's so touching and amazing to see how this book has affected many others in different ways but yet in the same way and in the same place --> our hearts .

i applaud everyone whose been a part in the making of this very fine book . they definitely deserve a standing ovation .
i can feel a blast of emotions running in my veins . my respect for Patrick Ness has grown . I'm emotionally battered down as i do realise what kind of an impact this book has made .

i'm not saying that i've turned into some intelligent-knowing-person who has just been swept off her feet by realisation . nopes , that's already been done by many and i know those things would continue till the day i die , as humans are afterall flawed and that there is always a time when you realise the true meaning of certain things .

all i'm declaring is , how i understand things at the moment .
how i adore and respect , Connor's mother and Grandmother , for being strong ! living and fighting every second to make things right for their loved ones .
how i can't help but feel sorry for Connor , who knows what the eventual outcome is and yet is strong to fight it and do whatever he can for his mother , considering he's just a mere 13 year old boy .
it intrigues me that simple words , can define such classic things .
letting go is the most difficult part of life and i truly am one who can never understand how it feels . i'm crying my eyes out and i want to scream and yell and just tell that little boy , that i'm so sorry and that even though i don't understand of what and how you're facing things , i am indeed in pain .

you know what strikes the chord even more ?
that even though, this book is just about of 200 pages with simple words and a funny bone added to it . it moves you , takes your breath away and all you do is feel . there is no metaphor crap here explaining how , 'his tears were falling like drops of rain 'and blah blah blah . it was simple . it was like , ' he cried his eyes out '. and such a raw thing just hits you and you weep !

(arghhh i must be so confusing right now !)

the best things about this book also includes the clever use of graphic images . it was like being in a journey with Connor and the monster by yourself .

the three stories recited by the monster kept me quizzing my brain cells all the time . i kept on thinking , ' that there definitely has to be a point out there , so what could it possibly be ? '

like there were parts like ,

“The parson refused to believe the Apothecary could help, said the monster. When times were easy, the parson nearly destroyed the Apothecary, but when the going grew tough, he was willing to throw aside every belief if it would save his daughters.

"So?" Conor said. "So would anyone! So would everyone! What did you expect him to do?”

( and i agreed and understood every word Connor said . )

then there was this place ,

“You think I tell you stories to teach you lessons? the monster said. You think I have coming walking out of time and earth itself to teach you a lesson in niceness?”

(that shut me up . because like i said i was busy finding the point of each and every story when i finally realised that all the monster was doing , was leading Connor to finally accepting the truth and that btw , also impacted me as well . i have a huge crater on the surface of my heart and a volcano boiling in it . )

then there was Harry the Bully , as well . i almost thought he was some magical mystical spirit -.-
it was kind of spooky to see that the last person who can possibly understand you , does understand you afterall .

and to mention the illustrations again , they go perfect with the book .
and boy , have i gone completely berserk . i don't even remember what i've been writing . :P

in the end , finally !
Darkly mischievous and painfully funny, A Monster Calls is an extraordinarily moving novel which in my opinion is a literary jewel !
i recommend it to everyone !

and ps- i would suggest you buy the book , since this is one gem to treasure and the illustrations along with the touch of paper set a whole new dimension to it ! :D