DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

Try Not to Breathe - Jennifer R.  Hubbard Why didn't i like it ?
It had such a dark , smexy and Thrilling appeal to it ! but it all went down and kept on going down :(

Initial synopsis
Learning to live is more than just choosing not to die, as sixteen-year-old Ryan discovers in the year following his suicide attempt. Despite his mother’s anxious hovering and the rumors at school, he’s trying to forget the darkness from which he has escaped. But it doesn’t help that he’s still hiding guilty secrets, or that he longs for a girl who may not return his feelings. Then he befriends Nicki, who is using psychics to seek contact with her dead father. This unlikely friendship thaws Ryan to the point where he can face the worst in himself. He and Nicki confide in one another the things they never thought they’d tell anyone—but their confessions are trickier than they seem, and the fallout tests the bounds of friendship and forgiveness.

I was jumping with a gleeful wide smile when i came across the e-book ! i was expecting Gasps , Swooning , understanding , Dark strange things and a uber-hot experience .

But seriously .
i was so disappointed .

Couldn't connect with the main character itself !
Ryan starts off by introducing us to his problems and how he attempted suicide and also slowly explains it's reasons .
Am i a Heartless person when i say that i didn't really find the reasons valid for dying ?
okay ! i get it ! to be empty inside , then face humiliation , be weak , and then be empty inside all over again does at some point make you think of sad things . Maybe i do think that at his stage 'suicide' was something he could possibly do but still ...
You know there's a point where the protagonist starts with his backstory and opens his role and you start to connect with him and that's when you like him . I seriously did not succeed in feeling all that with Ryan .

And then comes our heroine , Nicki .
Same goes for you tooo :/
we could clearly see how desperate she was to know about her father and then also some gloomy things she revealed were heart-numbing , in the end , for me it all came down to ...BUT STILL !

Loneliness , isolation , humiliation ,loss of a dear one , burden of truth , peer-pressure , pressure from family...is POOPY .
but if you aren't really moved by the character and it seems like a short story to you and in the end the book fails to impress you .