DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo Leigh Bardugo , you amaze me .
With Shadow and Bone , you have not only won my heart but my utmost loyalty and i shall forever be in debt because the awesomeness of this beauty has delighted me and i feel awesome .

what would i do if such YA fantasy novels weren't written ?

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo takes us to the country of Ravka , a country once very strong but now highly vulnerable to danger because of the Shadow fold which is a swath of impenetrable , gloomy darkness infested with Scary creatures called Volcra that feed on human flesh .
See basically due to the country's weakness there are a lot of inward wars as well as attacks from enemy countries and So here's where come The Grisha .
The Grisha are a group of people who possess powers to manipulate matter and are headed by the strongest Grisha alive , the Darkling . They are what you call highly heavenly and magical and close to royalty .
So when our protagonist , Alina Starkov and her best friend , Mal are recruited on a mission to cross the Fold where they are eventually attacked upon and are about to die , Alina reveals a magical dormant power of hers which not only saves the life of Mal and herself but also the other crewmen of the ship . After witnessing this , She's taken away to the Palace where She is to be trained as a Grisha and finally embrace her power . But with Darkness , lies and secrets hovering over her , the luxuries and refinement of the Grisha and the palace don't quiet seem as the latter and all this while her heart is playing games as well .

See the thing i like the most how amazingly defined , innovative , imaginative and beautiful is the world created by Ms. bardugo . To read is one thing but to experience it and feel enamored by it's world building is another . i could actually imagine the carvings of the palace , the Keftas worn by the Grisha , the gloomy Shadow Fold and as evil as it gets , the Volcras ( ugly fold inhabitants ) and would go , " dayuum ! this is too good , i wonder what's next ? " .
As the story grew and we went deeper inside , we get to see some kickass action :D
i'll have to say , this was one of the most interesting , entertaining and fabulous reads yet . i wasn't bored or even confused with all those Ravkan dialects and words floating around in the book .

Moving Forward , i loved all the characters . and i mean it , i really loved them all .
starting from Alina Starkov , our leading lady .
From the time when she was eight years old to the present where she's a mapmaker in the Army , she has never quite belonged anywhere . she's always one of those who craves the love one dreams about and also a place where she fits in . while everything in her life is close to pretense and is pathetically insecure , the only thing she knows and cares about is her best friend for life , Mal . so when she's plucked and thrown away with the Grisha , she knows that she doesn't belong there and with Mal not by her side , all she's left with is loneliness . and worse is the burden that sets her apart because afterall , it is she and her power that is the key to destroy the Fold and make Ravka whole again . all her emotions , frustrations ,insecurities , happiness and astonishment was so crystal clear that i could go inside the book and scream and tell her , "i understand you ."
i loved how her character grew and pushed the book to a defining end .

Second comes , My guy . Mal :D
Alina's best friend , best tracker on the planet , handsome , intelligent and i will fight dragons for you attitude , this guy is definitely My hero !

"I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason , just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.

see this quote above ^ is definitely going to make a lot of rounds .

next comes the Darkling .
he is strong . he is dark . and i like his character and also am highly infatuated . even though he was the villain , i really did like him a lot . i mean i do tend to fall for bad guys but this one here was personally my teddy bear . i mean , i know he's a meanie . he threw My darling , Mal to die in that dark Fold yet i don't know , he's kinda hot ? definitely :P

there are these few sub-characters like Genya , Botkins and Baghra and they really added the tang of awesomeness to the book . especially Genya . i really like beautiful , sarcastic women .

the detailing was perfect . everything was so graphic and intense ! and yes finally after ages do i have fantasy books with the right balance of romance . i'm a romance junkie but if you say that the book i'm holding is paranormal or fantasy book , then i expect a little more fighting butterflies then the ones that canoodle .
though yes , i love me novels with hot stuff . and it had balanced out , perfect and amazing ones here . oooooooooooh .

Shadow and Bone is an entertaining master blaster with it's times of intense gloominess , action and romance of course in it's pace . with Laugh out Loud moments here and there , this a great adventurous book YOU . DON'T . WANT . TO . MISS .