DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

Chasing Brooklyn - Lisa Schroeder Another long run,
Hoping to put distance
between me
and everything else.
The farther,
The better.
Only problem is,
the distance is just temporary,
Because no matter far I go,
I always have to come back.

I first came across Lisa Schroeder when I had randomly ordered The Day Before written by her. I had not known her and I also didn't know that the whole novel was written in verses. The whole experience altogether was pretty surprising.

And..I Love Surprises! :D

The beauty of novels written by Ms.Schroeder?
They are simple , precise , fast paced and beautiful.
I love how I don't have to read monotonous pages of ultimate cheesiness and am simply presented with words my heart truly needs. Words my soul and the critic in me appreciates. I think that's the beauty of poetry. It's one thing to simply write a short story and another to write a whole verse.It looks pretty simple but it actually isn't. Atleast for donkeys like me :P

This is a companion novel to I heart you , you haunt me by Lisa Schroeder , so for those who haven't read that yet , I suggest you first go ahead and read that first. Although it wouldn't make a difference because this is a totally different story....just based on the same plot.

Chasing Brooklyn is Brooklyn's and Nico's story.
Lucca was an important part of both their lives. They loved him and he loved them more than anything. When Lucca died , Brooklyn lost her beloved boyfriend and Nico lost his brother.
Just a year later , Their friend Gabe dies and it all shatters all over again. And that's when the haunting begins.

Chasing Brooklyn was beautiful.
I simply adore the simplicity of the whole story. There were times where I had that type of a feeling where you're reading something so heartbreaking , your breath catches and all you want to do is cry. Although this might sound extreme , the emphasis is totally on the emotion behind it. There were so many I though of how lame was it of all those 600 page books when I could spend my time with such books and cry my eyes out. And I love it when books make me cry.

Nico and Brooklyn were wonderful characters.
Each were masters of their own insecurities , own fears , own ideas...They were so vulnerable yet determined to stay strong. Losing someone close to you takes away a huge piece of your heart. How should you function in that person's absence? How should you stay strong when the things that remind you the most about that person are always there with you?
But Life goes on..
And this is what Chasing Brooklyn sends out as a beautiful message. :)

“Sometimes life is a feast with eggs Benedict & hollandaise sauce, waffles & strawberries, sausage links & hashed brown potatoes. And sometimes life is scrambled eggs. In the end, your stomach gets full all the same. And years from now, you may not remember exactly what you ate.”- Chasing Brooklyn.