DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

If He Had Been with Me - Laura Nowlin It’s a pattern.

Every time around this time of the year, I find myself drifting away from my reading and reviewing obsession. It’s not because I want to. It’s because circumstances around me eventually make me. It’s the start of summer here. And there are SO MANY things to do! There are those annual fests and functions to be part of. Lots of camping to do. Lots of catching up to do with my family and there is lots of travelling. Amidst it all, my reading just falls behind and then I don’t even feel like reviewing. BUT THIS BOOK.

It makes me stay up late at night and just type, type, type and type.

Let me just warn you all. This review is pathetically nonsensical because it was written right after I finished reading this book. And the initial reaction to a book is pure emotion and it always does not make sense. So you’re free to run away and totally ignore this review.

I’m just happy. I’m just so so happy. I could almost cry happy tears. And no, it’s not because of something that happened in the book but it’s because of the effect it had on me. I love those moments of gut wrenching metaphorical pain where you just want to punch something so bad and just howl and wail and cry and jhinga-la-la-la dance around a bonfire like a mad man in the middle of a ritual and throw yourself into that burning bonfire because after what happened in the book , you are never going to be the same. I love those moments of earthquakes that rock my heart because as sadist authors intended, you as a reader know what exactly the end is going to be and you just don’t want to read the damn end as much you truly need to because you know it’s going to tear you apart even though you already know what happens from the very beginning of the damn book.

I’ve read better books. I think.

And there will be times when books written by great minds will appear at my doorstep or just my laptop or kindle and would make me want to die of ecstasy or just ecstatic pain. If that makes sense. Among those many books will be a few that even after being replaced by another set of books , will never truly leave your mind and will always linger. This book is one of those.

If he had been with me by Laura Nowlin is a very simple book with a very simple yet captivating writing style. The pace is perfect and so is every angle and every mood.
It was heart breaking , stomach bursting , mind blasting , ground shaking , sky tearing and just about every term of destruction with an ‘–ing’ at the end of it.

Maybe I’m just overreacting. But guess what? I don’t care. Because I’m a very very very VERY happy person. I’m heartbroken but I’m very satisfied.
I got what I wanted from this book. To be honest, I was expecting a more ....I don’t know how to say it...but er, a more dramatic end?
I mean hey, it was by all means pure awesomeness but I just wanted something more. But like I said earlier, I’m a satisfied reader and now when I rationally think about it, I feel that it’s good that the things ended the way they did.

I’m in no position to talk about the characters. I can only just tell you this. I hate the reality that were both, Autumn and Finn.
I hate how real situation was. I hate the damn title. ‘I he had been with me’ : I’m going to punch somebody.
I just...I was so frustrated at times. And then I was sad. And then I was happy and then I was sad again. Then I was happy and it just went on and on and on. I hate the last line of this damn book.

Come to think of it?

I HATE THIS BOOK.

Shoo. I don’t want to think about Finn. Especially Finny. Because he was something every girl dreams of . Not because he was a total hottaaay (which btw he was.) and not because he was a champion at wooing a girl. No. Nada. Niet.
He was awkward. And I loved how he loved people. He wasn’t perfect but he was something. His character was so real! Not every guy is a cocky I-know-you-want-me-and-you-know-I-want-you kind of a guy who has that sexy half smirk always on his face. And who has a Adonis like body and is totally badass. Not every guy is sensitive. Nobody is perfect. And Finn is not perfect. But when you read about him you know that there is something absolutely right about this beautiful boy.

Autumn?
Insecure ? Dreamer? Teenager? Confused? Afraid? Needy? Loved? Alone?
I still can’t find the right words to explain how I feel about her . I just know that she was a good narrator. And that I enjoyed the ride.

Okay. I love this book.

Bye you all.

I’m sure you know what to do.

You can make me happy by reading this book. And be happy yourself.