DevTheReader

DevTheReader

I eat books and get eaten by them. It's an uncomplicated relationship.

I'm co-blogger at YA Fanatic as well.

The Book of Broken Hearts - Sarah Ockler This review is a part of a Joint Review @YA Fanatic

I’ve always been a Papa’s girl. And as far as I can remember, things have always been that way. That being said, if it has to be someone as my confidante for awkward conversations in the world of ladydom and awkward conversations OR conversations in general, then it’s my mother all the way. But there is this peculiar and I’m obviously cheesy when it comes to emotional and sentimental values, so yes, ‘magical’ bond between a father and a daughter. It’s in ordinary moments of ‘my dad taught me how to ride a bike..or my dad scared the shit out of my boyfriend...or my dad got me flowers because I did well..or my dad gave me tea when I was sick..’ etc. It’s also in those unforgettable moments when you’re leaving home to go away and beside your mother, your dad looks at you with that ‘my-little-birdy-is-flying-away-now’ look or when he gives you away at your wedding. So in general, dad’s rock. And after reading this book, I really missed my father. And I started to remember little things that included just my father and me.

Sarah Ockler never disappoints me. In fact, things just seem to get better and better. The Book Of Broken Hearts, is a great story about love and self-realisation. It’s your typical story of a protagonist thrown in a maze full of surprises.

See, when you’re in a maze, the first thing you try do is find a way out. You’re no psychic so you’re going to come across many dead ends. And if it’s a really fun maze then there are those dreaded obstacles and also those amazing rewards. The thing about a maze, is that you never give up and you just try and try and try to get out. So in a similar context. A maze is what is seventeen year old Jude Hernandez’s life. It’s summer, at the end of which , Jude will be heading towards her chosen college and will settle into a new life. But for now it’s summer and she has a bike that needs to be restored , a cute mechanic to handle, three sisters to juggle , friends to maintain communication with, mother to help, a lot of self confidence to build and a dad with Alzheimer’s to spend time with. Think she can get through this surprisingly tender maze? Yes please.

The Book Of Broken Heart, surprised me in many ways. The pace and writing style flows in amazingly and the narrator is fun to read about and see things through. It’s hilarious where it needs to be and sad wherever required. The characters are great and the secondary characters contribute in perfect measures. It’s a bundle of technical niceness.

Jude’s character is one of my favourite characters in the contemporary genre. I felt for her. I understood her dilemma and it was understandable to see why and how she took certain decisions. The love interest, Emilio Vargas, the guy whose family she was warned about since the age of twelve, added nicely to the mix. I like how their relationship played out. It was nice and sweet and not too dramatic with a healthy flow of banter and intensity here and there. Then there were Jude’s enigmatic sisters, Mariposa, Lourdes and Araceli who with their sisterly awesomeness added to the Sarah Ockler paradise. There was Jude’s mother. And then there was Papi, Jude’s father. Who in my opinion, was my favourite person in the whole book because he reminded me of my father in so many ways.

I’ll tell you now, what I loved the best about the whole book. The relationships. And by that ,not only am I pointing finger towards the fantastic portrayal of father-daughter love or first love in terms of I-wish-to-use-your-body-like-a-jungle-gym (The OC reference never fails to disappoint me.) , but also the case where your friends come into place. People come and go. But it is only the ones stay in times of need, are the ones who count. Things change everyday. People drift apart not by their differences but simply because they changed. And then there are some who just simply stay and no change or difference, could ever tear them away. This is something that happens everyday in life and it’s amazing how Ms. Ockler has managed to inculcate this tiny everyday thought in her book too.

I will not lie. There were emotional moments and it is because of THIS. This thing I don’t know which manages to make me emotional and miss my dad and just invoke those poignant thoughts in general, makes me love this book even more.